Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Student Conservation Association Pre Trip

Time to drag out the blue duffel bag from under my bag again. This ceremonial action can only mean one thing: a new adventure ahead and the start of packing. I will just straight forwardly say that I hate packing. I spend hours sitting on my floor trying to figure out exactly what to bring and I always end up packing too much or too little. And for this trip I am trying my hardest to pack exactly the right amount because I will be camping and backpacking in Clearwater National Forest in Potlatch, Idaho as part of a National Conservation Crew through The Student Conservation Association.http://thesca.org. SCA provides college and high school-aged members with hands-on conservation service opportunities in virtually every field imaginable, from tracking grizzlies through the Tetons to restoring desert ecosystems and teaching environmental education at Washington, D.C.’s Urban Tree House. SCA is all about conservation and educating the population about world issues. I have an amazing opportunity to participate as a National Crew Member. This crew consists of up to eight high school students from around the country are paired with experienced SCA crew leaders to build trails and restore habitat in national parks and on other public lands. Through a rigorous application process I was chosen out of thousands to be a luck member of one of the 102 Crews (638 members). I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to spend 21 days in the beautiful northwest. My crew of 8 students from across the country as well as our 2 leaders will spend the first part of the trip working on the Elk Creek Falls Trail System. Projects include: a)Recreational sign upgrading consisting of removal of all old signs and installation of new signs and posts throughout the trail system, 2)work at trail observation points, including reconstruction and reshaping observation platforms, removal and reconstruction of new rail fencing around
platforms and clearing of view corridors, 3)major brushing of the trail system, and 4)trail tread repair consisting of cleaning and reconstructing drainage structures such as turnpikes and drain dips, and replacing several log water bars. Sounds like we really will be busy! The last part of our trip will be spent backpacking around the national park for a recreation trip.

I am really excited for the trip but also nervous. I have never done something like this but am very optimistic and ready to conquer anything! 3 weeks without electricity, iPods, or Facebook will be a much needed break for me. Just me and 9 others experiencing the great outdoors. I head out tomorrow at 11am and board my flight from O'Hare to Seattle to spend the night at my Uncle's house before flying from Seattle to Lewiston, Idaho and beginning my journey! See y'all July 15th!

Just the Facts


    -SCA’s 4,000 interns and volunteers provide more than two million hours of conservation service per year
    -SCA members annually serve more than 500 natural and cultural sites in all 50 states
    -Since 1957, SCA’s 50,000+ members have provided service valued at over half a billion dollars
    -70% of SCA alumni remain active in conservation in their careers or communities
    -SCA members build or maintain more than 2,500 miles of trail per year, well over the equivalent of the Appalachian Trail
    -Placed one on top of the other, SCA’s 50,000+ members would stand 14 times taller than Denali
    -SCA alumni include
    12% of the National Park Service
    Co-founder of Priceline.com
    G Love (Garret Dutton) of G Love and the Special Sauce
    -SCA was founded before Peace Corps, City Year and AmeriCorps
    -SCA also preceded the EPA, Earth Day and Silent Spring
    -SCA has been recognized by The White House, the Department of the Interior, and the Garden Club of America, among many others

2 comments:

  1. was the whole trip free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site says the only thing you need to pay for is airfare and gear.

      Delete